Peak to Pines Bike Relay
Grab your bike and assemble your crew to take on a mountains-to-low country challenge on two wheels over the course of 48 hours.
Begin in the heart of the Ranger District of Pisgah National Forest at Big Creek Lodge and descend through the mountains to cross into the Upstate of South Carolina via tarmac and gravel. Riders will jump onto the Palmetto Trail in Spartanburg for a true all-road adventure across the entire state of South Carolina. Cyclists can participate solo or in relay teams of three or six and trade off at any interval along the course. Expect plenty of programming points along the route, including a finish line celebration at Middleburg after completing the Swamp Fox Passage in the Francis Marion National Forest.
Registration (Team of 1/3/6)
Available through November 11th
$200 / Person
Big Creek Lodge/North Mills River
Critical Rider Information
Peak to Pines is an endurance bicycle ride that subjects the participants to the inherent and considerable risks normally associated with a continuous 48 hour road and off road event. The considerable length of the ride on the public roads and back country trails involves substantial risk to all participants that could result in significant injury and death. The nature of this relay means that riders will face substantial physical challenge, endure long periods out of range of food or water and any contact with cell service or other services. All riders must rely on their own capabilities to complete and endure this event and each rider is required to be self-sufficient during the entire event. There should be no support expected from the event organizers.
All riders are reminded that they are responsible for their own safety at all times. Riders will experience extremely rough terrain that will subject the riders to wildlife, natural elements and dangers, vehicles, weather and all other elements that create dangerous conditions for riders. Riders are encouraged to review the route, research the terrain and types of riding involved and understand the true nature of the event in order to accept the significance of what they will experience. Riders are accepting that the very essence and nature of the ride involves these significant risks and these challenges form the basis for each riders desire to participate.
- Teams may include 1-6 participants, although awards will be given to the following categories: solo (1 rider), 3 person team (2-3 riders), and 6 person team (4-6 riders).
- Participants are may use any number of bikes for the ride.
- Event officials will be located at the start/finish, and monitoring deliberate locations throughout the race.
- Riders will use a GPS device as the baton for the race. This must be always carried by the active rider.
- When transitioning, riders must come to a complete stop before handing off the GPS tracker to the next rider.
- A cycling-specific helmet must be worn while riding at all times
- Riders must use appropriate front and rear lights while riding at night.
- Rule infractions may result in disqualification from the race.
- Protest period ends 30 minutes after course closure.
- If teams choose to withdraw, they must notify the Event Director.
- Packet pick-up will take place at Big Creek Lodge in North Mills River from 4:00pm-6:00pm on Nov. 18th, 2022.
- Only the Team Captain can pick up packets for the team.
- Waivers must be completed by each member of the team and submitted at packet pick up.
- Each registered rider will receive the following meals during their ride. Please keep in mind that you must be at the specified location during the allotted timeframe to receive the meal posted.
- Pre-ride Dinner 5:00pm-6:30pm @ Big Creek Lodge, North Mills River
- Breakfast 6:30am-9:30am @ Brick House Camp
- Lunch 12:00pm-3:00pm @ Peak
- Dinner 6:00pm-9:00pm @ Poinsett State Park
- Breakfast 6:00am-9:00am @ Bonneau
- Post-ride Lunch and Celebration 11:00am-2:00pm @ Middleburg
Safety and Support
- Support vehicles are not permitted to “shadow” their rider at any point in time.
- Riders need to follow all traffic signs and obey local laws and regulations.
- This is an unsupported ride. Each support vehicle should carry a well-stocked first aid kit and any needed supplies.
- In the event of extreme inclement weather, Whitewater Staff will follow the advice of emergency management.
- In the event of an emergency, dial 911 immediately. Please contact the ride support staff as soon as possible.
Explore a huge variety of terrain and ecosystems from the heart of Pisgah National Forest and Western North Carolina through the Upstate of South Carolina down to the low country.
Peak to Pines participants will receive a shirt and DeFeet socks. Additional giveaways will be available at aid stations throughout the course.
- Friday, November 18, 2022
4:00pm -6:00pm Packet Pick-Up Begins: Big Creek Lodge
5:00pm - 6:30pm Dinner
6:30pm Mandatory Pre-Ride Meeting
7:00pm Grand Depart from Big Creek Lodge
- Saturday, November 19, 2022
6:30am-9:30am Aid Station- Brick House Camp
12:00pm-3:00pm Aid Station - Peak, SC
6:00pm-9:00pm Aid Station - Poinsett State Park
- Sunday, November 20, 2022
6:00am-9:00am Aid Station - Bonneau
11:00am-4:00pm Post Relay Celebration - Middleburg
7:00pm Course Closes